Friday, May 16, 2008

Stories we tell the world about ourselves

Aha moment. I just read Brazen Careerist's old article Be memorable by telling good stories about yourself . It's a key part of what I've been missing in this job...the story of why I've bounced between two disparate disciples. It's core comes from this article Interview tip: Manage your image by telling good stories.

Some quotes that stand out for me:

  • "if you can’t tell people why your prior path and your new path are part of one story, then you probably can’t see it yourself, and that leads to feelings of being confused, lost and insecure – all the feelings that are typical of an uncertain life but do not have to be."
  • "A story gives us motivation to help us endure frustration, suffering and hard work”
What I've been lacking is my own story that makes a coherent narrative out of my career. Heck if I don't get it, no one else will either! And then, once I have my positive story, I need to believe it with all my heart and soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home